Thank you, Holly, for suggesting a word that doesn’t work my brain so hard:
Irritable: Having or showing a tendency to be easily annoyed or made angry
I am afraid I got the irritable gene from my father. Although I can be very patient, too, and I have had to call patience into play over and over the last couple of months, dealing with my parents and Bandit.
I could easily write a whole post devoted to Mr. Judy, too, but then I might not actually make it to our 31st anniversary, which is just a week away, by the way.
I think instead I will write about things that make us runners irritable.
I find shopping too stressful. I get hot and flustered and irritated and feel sick after I’ve bought something.
I threw in this quote because it amused me, plain and simple. Because I am so the opposite: I love the hunt for something good when shopping, and after I’ve bought something, I feel happy. Not necessarily a good thing. I asked what your other therapies, aside from running, were a while ago — retail therapy definitely works for me, if not for my bank balance!
Back to the topic in hand, here is just a few of the things that makes runners irritable:
- Weather that’s too cold
- Weather that’s too hot
- Weather that’s too windy
- A forecast that is totally wrong
- Too much sun
- Not enough sun
- A pebble in our shoes
- Not being able to run
- Not running slow enough
- Not running fast enough
- Missing a BQ/PR/AG award by just seconds and/or minutes
- Races that start late
- Races that start too late in the day
- Inaccurate course descriptions
- Courses that are too short or too long
- Course marshals that don’t properly direct you
- Other runners that don’t acknowledge us
- Being called a jogger
- How long is this half marathon or marathon?
- Running out of promised aid at a race
- Running out of medals at a race
- No food left at the end of a race
- No good food left at the end of a race
- Cars that try to run us over
- Dogs off leash
Geez, I could go on and on. By now you’re just assuming all runners are irritable, picky a$$holes. Yet most runners are the kindest, most generous people I know. Just don’t get in between us and the fulfillment of our dreams/goals/food!
Tell me in the comments:
What makes you irritable when it comes to running?
What makes you irritable in life in general?
Are you an irritable person in general?